This is what democracy looks like!
Left Up To US is committed to being democratic, inclusive, respectful, and empowering to our members. This page describes some of the practices we use to stay true to these principles.
Frequent leadership elections
- All leadership roles are up for reelection every six months so leaders remain accountable.
- Leadership candidates complete questionnaires so members can make educated voting decisions.
- LUTU Elections use range voting on a 0-4 scale, allowing members the most freedom possible to express their opinion through their vote.
- We have twenty-one leadership roles, and any member can run for any role.
- All leaders who opt in to the LUTU Operating Committee have an equal voice.
Member participation in decision-making
- We have a full group meeting every month.
- Members can participate in any or all of our nine committees.
- Full group meetings and committee meetings are are open to the public.
- Everyone who shows up has a voice and a vote and is a member.
- Members can also participate in discussions and vote online.
Encouraging respect and fostering member empowerment
- LUTU leaders are expected to treat all members with respect and understanding.
- We do not make direct efforts to solicit donations from our members.
- While we enthusiastically encourage participation, we all strive to be understanding of personal situations and to make you feel comfortable being involved as much or as little as you choose.
- We encourage and support all new members interested in running for LUTU leadership.
- We enable members to use LUTU as a vessel to organize their own ideas into group actions that they lead.